These iOS setup instructions require an active internet connection. Either print these instructions or have them ready on a device or screen other than the iPad or iOS device you are setting up with your Emoji Keyboard. Please follow these instructions entirely in order, otherwise they will not work.
1. On your iPad or iOS device, first check that your iOS software is up to date by going to Settings -> General -> Software Update. If not, please update to the latest iOS version before continuing.
2. Then go to Settings -> iCloud and turn iCloud Drive On if it is not already. If you do not use iCloud and are not signed into iCloud then skip to Step 5.
3. Now go to Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Text Replacement and delete ALL entries. You can do this quickly by swiping left on each line and tapping Delete.
4. Once you have deleted all entries, go to Settings -> iCloud and scroll to the bottom and Sign Out. You will be presented with some warnings before signing out. Pay close attention to which options to choose before proceeding. If you get a warning that some iCloud Drive changes have not been uploaded to iCloud then Cancel the sign out, wait a few moments for iCloud to sync, and try again until this warning does not appear. The other warnings you should choose Keep on My iPad when given, otherwise choose Delete. Don’t worry your data will not be permanently deleted! It will be safe in iCloud and downloaded again to your device in a later step.
6. Now we will download the proper Text Replacements for the Emoji Keyboard. Go to Settings -> iCloud and Sign In using the account information that will be emailed to you once you click the “Click For Login” image below. It may take 30 seconds or more Verifying the iCloud login. If you’re prompted to Merge with iCloud make SURE you choose Don’t Merge!
8. Now go back to Settings -> iCloud and Sign Out of the EmojiWorks Install account and again, pay close attention to which options to choose below before proceeding. If you get a warning that some iCloud Drive changes have not been uploaded to iCloud then Cancel the sign out, wait a few moments for iCloud to finish the download, and try again until this particular warning does not appear. However, this time if you’re prompted to keep or delete iCloud Safari data, reminders, and contacts, choose Delete from My iPad. Enter the same password emailed to you to sign into the EmojiWorks Install account to Turn Off Find My iPad to complete the sign out like below.
10. On your iOS device, go to Settings -> Bluetooth. Make sure Bluetooth is enabled and look for Emoji Keyboard to appear on the list of devices and tap it once it does. If your Emoji Keyboard does not get found after 30 seconds or so, try moving your keyboard closer to your iOS device, switch the keyboard Off and back On, switching Bluetooth Off and back On and try to Connect again.
11. Enter the code prompted on your iOS device (not in the image below) followed by return on your Emoji Keyboard.
12. Now your Emoji Keyboard should be listed as Connected. Go to Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Hardware Keyboard and select English U.S. if it’s not already.
13. Press fn + A for your Function shortcut keys to work best with iOS the first time you pair with a new device.
14. If your Text Replacement emoji settings have been downloaded to your iOS device in Step 8 and your Emoji Keyboard is connected, it’s time to test your Emoji Keyboard!
15. Open up the Notes app and try typing 3 emojis. Here’s how to use your Emoji Keyboard on your iPad or iOS device!
- Emoji Keyboard (base model):
- press the key with the emoji you want to type twice followed by space. ie: key key
- Emoji Keyboard Pro – each key can have up to 3 emojis so here’s how to type each:
- bottom right emoji: press the key with the emoji you want to type twice followed by space. ie: key key
- top right emoji: press Emoji + Shift + key (twice) followed by space. ie: Emoji + Shift + key + key
- bottom left emoji: press Emoji + Shift + key (3 times) followed by space. ie: Emoji + Shift + key + key + key
- one exception is the lightest skin color ? which is typed with Shift + ~~ followed by space.
16. If you do not use iCloud then Congratulations, you’re good to go! Open your favorite app and type emoji easier and faster like a pro! If you do use iCloud and were signed in Step 2, the proceed to the next step to sign back in.
17. Go to Settings -> iCloud and sign in using your personal iCloud account. It may take 30 seconds or more Verifying. If you’re prompted to Merge with iCloud, again choose Don’t Merge!
18. Now that you’re signed back into your iCloud account, open up the Notes app and try typing 3 emojis as in Step 15. If the emojis type then congratulations, you’re good to go!
19. If however, the emoji replacements aren’t typing on your iOS device after Step 18, or the emoji replacements have periodically stopped working, then do this. Make sure your internet connection is working, then go to Settings -> iCloud -> iCloud Drive and turn iCloud Drive Off. Wait a moment, then turn iCloud Drive back On. You should see the “Last updated …” text below iCloud Drive soon change to “Updated just now.”
20. Once everything is updated in iCloud Drive, your emoji replacements will be restored. Open up the Notes app and type 3 emojis as before. Congratulations, you’re iOS device is good to go! Open your favorite app and type emoji easier and faster like a pro!